- 400g boneless chicken, in medium chunks
- 1 cup yogurt
- 8 garlic cloves and 1.5 inches ginger, mashed into paste
- 1 tsp each cashew and almond paste
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp cream
- 1⁄2 tsp Kashmiri chile powder (not Mexican spice blend)
- 1⁄2 tsp ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp chopped cilantro
- 1 tbsp neutral oil or butter
- salt to taste
- Soak almonds and cashews in hot water. Grind to a paste.
- Mix all ingredients except oil and chicken. Mix in half of oil.
- Marinate chicken chunks for 30m. Preheat oven to 350 or heat grill.
- Skewer chicken chunks. Arrange in single layer on sheet pan. Lightly brush with remaining oil.
- Bake or grill until chicken is tender.
See my mother-in-law’s methi murgh recipe for a discussion of Kashmiri chile powder and possible substitutes.