With Cholula hot sauce and Dijon mustard, this chutney completes my condiment trinity. The miso isn’t traditional, but it adds complexity and depth.
- 2 bunches cilantro, tough portions of stems removed
- 1 bunch of mint, leaves only
- 1-5 small, spicy green chiles (Thai, serrano, or similar)
- 1⁄4 small onion
- 5 cloves garlic
- Juice of 1⁄2 lemon
- 1 tbsp red miso (optional)
- 4 tbsp olive oil (optional)
- Salt to taste
Grind all the ingredients to a smooth paste, adding only half the chiles, lemon, and salt. Taste before adding the remainder, adjusting as necessary. Refrigerate, or cover with a thin layer of olive oil and freeze.